17 Dec 2013

Arsenal may have to spend BIG for Sagna to sign new contract

 
There has been a lot of speculation about Arsenal and what Arsene Wenger will do in the January transfer window. And apart from a striker to challenge and support Olivier Giroud up front, most Arsenal fans would agree that the next big position we are concerned with is the right back.
I am not going to discuss the merits of Carl Jenkinson, because the main problem Arsenal have is Bacary Sagna. The France international has been brilliant for us this season after a struggling a bit coming back from injury last time. We would love him to stay, but his current contract expires next summer, so we have been hoping that Arsenal would offer him a good deal, for longer than just a year, to make sure we keep him.
But it appears that the money and length of contract are not the main problem. Sagna is more concerned about Arsenal’s ability to win silverware. Sagna wants a trophy or two, and who can blame him? The years of seeling our best players have obviously harmed our chances of success and Sagna has not been happy.
He said, “I was upset, angry, when players left. If we had them today, it would make a massive difference. Since 2007, a very competitive team left. I would love to win trophies with this club, it’s a club I love so much but something is missing.
“I’ve still got six months on my contract with Arsenal. We are in negotiations. It’s an option to go somewhere in January, but I always had a good relationship with Arsenal.
“I’ve been playing there for seven years and I hope we will end up on something good. First of all I want to finish champion, because we have got a good opportunity to do it this year, and after we will see….”
So as much as I would love Sagna to sign a new deal, it looks as though the only way he will be persuaded to do that before the end of the season is if Arsenal go and spend some decent money in January. Not only will that increase our chances of a trophy, it will help to show Sagna that the bad, penny pinching days are over.
Do you think that Sagna;s words will have the right effect on Wenger and the Arsenal board?